Get Ready for MEJA’s Week of Action!
The Massachusetts Education Justice Alliance is excited to announce it’s Week of Action from June 7th to June 13th. The week of action will raise the level of awareness around the issue of high stakes testing, reinvigorate the conversation around the issue of quality education for all students, and impact the legislation that is currently filed for this session. The more visible our supporters are, the better chance we have of making a positive change in the legislature and in our schools.
Create or search for an event in your area here!
Monday 6/8/15 - Sticker Day: Wear stickers in support of Less Testing and More Learning. Tell your friends about the movement, and post pictures of you and your friends wearing the stickers using the hashtag #lesstesting. To obtain stickers please contact email@example.com.
Tuesday 6/9/15 - Contact Your Legislator! Make phone calls, visit local legislators’ offices, and make your stories heard. Call on legislators to support:
- H.340, the Rep. Marjorie Decker bill advocating for the moratorium on PARCC high-stakes testing
- H.418 and S.311, calling for a three year moratorium on using an MCAS score as a graduation requirement
- H.3395, which would allow parents to opt their children out of standardized tests
- S.294, which would provide a three-year moratorium on the state’s 5-level rating system and on new state takeovers.
- Tuesday 6/9 is also the date of roundtable discussion the future of public education with State Senator Barbara L'Italien from 5:00-6:00 p.m. at the Lawrence Teachers Union Relief’s In Hall, 1 Market Street in Lawrence. Please RSVP to President Frank McLaughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday 6/10/15 - Social Media Day: Get #LessTesting trending! Share your stories about education and testing on social media, and make the movement even more visible on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Make sure your friends and followers know why you support Less Testing and More Learning!
- Wednesday 6/10 is also the date of the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education forum on PARCC and high-stakes testing at Bridgewater State University. Let board members know why high-stakes testing is bad for our students and schools!
- There is also a community forum, Testing in Our Schools: A Community Conversation, in North Shore on Wednesday June 10th at the Lynn Museum, Washington St, Lynn 01901. For more information please contact Brant Duncan at 781-599-5591 or email@example.com
- Join the Public Education Roundtable in the Merrimack Valley hosted by the United Teachers of Lowell at 169 Merrimack St # 4, Lowell, MA 01852. For more information please contact Paul Georges at 978-937-9039 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- In addition, there is a regional action at the Local Stakeholder Group meeting in Holyoke regarding the receivership of the district. At 3:00 p.m. Teachers, parents and students will attend the meeting and bear witness to the process and make it know that the community is going to hold the commissioner accountable, and at 5:30 p.m. we will stand out with signs as the LSG and Board of Elementary and Secondary Education leave the meeting. For more information please contact Rose Bookbinder at 413-320-2028 or at email@example.com.
Thursday 6/11/15 - Show support at the State House: Attend the hearing at the State House to show your support for bills H.340, H.418 and S.311, H.3395, and S.294.Testify with your personal stories as a student, parent, educator or community member and make sure the legislature understands the need to limit the weight of testing on students and teachers.
- Thursday 6/11 is also BEJA's Schools Our Communities Deserve campaign launch! Come to Madison Park High School in Cardinal Hall, at 75 Malcom X Blvd in Roxbury from 4:30 to 7 p.m. For more information please contact Marlena Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition, there is a community forum Thursday June 11th on Less Testing, More Learning from 6:00-7:30 p.m. at 766 Main Street, Worcester, MA (YMCA) 01610. For more information please contact Natalia Berthet at 978-514-0336 or Natalia@massjwj.net.
- Join Mike for an informational meeting to discuss High Stakes Testing With Massachusetts State Senator, Karen Spilka, Senate Ways and Means Chair from 4:00-5:30 p.m. at 15 West Street, Natick, MA 01760.
Friday 6/12/15 - Union Solidarity Day: Wear your union colors to work and show the varied support behind limiting high-stakes testing.